Take the Content IQ PII Test!
The test files on this page all contain simulated (but valid) personal identity information (names, social security numbers, dates). If your network security system claims to be able to detect and prevent the leakage or exfiltation of personal identity information, it should trigger on all of these files.
Note that the objective of this test is to gauge your network security system's ability to detect the transfer of arbitrary personal identity information, not just the PII in these particular test files. So doing things like simple regex matching on the specific names or SSNs in these particular files is not really kosher. What you want to do is set your system up to look for PII assuming you don't have prior knowledge of exactly what PII will be stolen. Good network DLP systems will also include sophisticated mechanisms for reducing false positives.
To test your network security system's ability to detect and prevent the exfiltration of personal identity information (PII):
- Set your network security system up to look for PII.
- Click on each of the Test Files below. This will cause the files to be downloaded across your network and through (or past) your network security system. Each Test File should generate an alert on your network security system.
- Check to see how many of the Test Files were identified by your network security system as containing PII.
- For extra credit, see if you can recover the Test Files from your network security system's alert database or packet store.
- For extra extra credit, see if your network security system can prevent the Test Files from entering your network.
- If you'd like to test in the outbound (upload) direction, download one of the test files manually and then upload it to the server using the outbound test at the bottom of this page.
PII Test Files
Set up your network security system and download the test files. You can download the test files either manually or automatically.
If you want to do it manually, just click on each of the Test File links in the test groups below and the test files will be downloaded by your browser. Alternatively, you can download all the testfiles in a single archive by clicking on one of the links below.
To download the test files individually but automatically, just click on the link below. Note that it will take several seconds to download all the test files, more if your network connection is slow.
Outbound (Upload) Test
To do an outbound (upload) test, download one of the test files manually and then upload it using this form (choose the file and then click on the Upload button).
Note: Any files uploaded to the server will be deleted from the server automatically.